The first draft is done!
This is the last report for the first draft of my first book. The book is not finished but it is written. I’ve learned a lot so far. It’s been agonizing. It’s been fun.
It has taken about eight months so far.
I don’t have an exact date for when I started. It was late October or early November 2014. I had been trying to choose between two story ideas. I had maybe a paragraph or two of each started.
Then one day I found myself waiting with nothing to do for three hours. I was waiting for someone in a hallway at Marquette University. Since I still have not found a game that will keep me entertained on my phone, I had nothing to occupy my time.
So, I opened Google Docs on my phone and started to write. For three hours, I listened to music and typed on my phone. Well, nearly three hours.
At the end of those hours, I had written over 500 words. This, to me, was an incredible length. Not just for typing on a phone but just in general. I also felt it read pretty good.
However, I had several issues come up between then and Christmas that prevented much progress. I had a chapter or two done in early 2015 and had a few people take a look at it. Those people gave me the encouragement to go forward. You can hold them responsible whatever happens now. I will.
I made the most progress on the book in March 2014. I had several weeks where I wrote over or near 10000 words a week. It’s amazing how quick it adds up if you just write everyday.
The final word count (for the first draft) is 90540.
That is less than I was aiming for on a first draft. It is what I was hoping to hit on the final draft. During re-writing, I am planing to add some chapters from the point of view of some of the other characters. I think this will help build the plot and fill up the story. I also expect I’ll be condensing some areas extensively.
Nothing for this book. I don’t plan to look at it again at least for two weeks before I start to re-write.
For the next few weeks, I plan to outline several books I want to write next (hopefully a series). I want to have two books as fully outlined as I can. I am also thinking that it will be a fantasy series and I will need do some world building.
I want the outlines ready for July.
I’ll be doing the Camp NaNoWriMo challenge for 50000 words in July. With a little luck and mostly lots of hard work, I’ll have one finished at the end of July.
In August I plan to start re-writing this book. My hope is to have it ready for some beta readers to read at the end of August. More editing and re-writing in September. I hope to have it published in October or November. Somewhere in there I hope to find an editor I can afford.
I already have plans for doing the cover myself.
Oh, yeah. The title.
Right now, I am thinking the title will be “Dead Drive.”
What I’ve been reading the last week.
I finished Bob Mayer’s NaNoWriMo Survival Kit. I think this should be in every writer’s e-reader or on the shelf.
I finished Stacy Claflin’s Deception. This was her first book and I can only hope my first ends up as good. I’ll be reading more of her books. She is also an inspiration.
I started Lindsay Buroker’s The Emperor’s Edge. So far, this is one of those books that is simply better than expected.
I restarted reading Rachel Aaron’s 2K to 10K. I started this and decided to finish the Mayer book. I started over to make sure I didn’t miss anything.
I’ll have reviews of these books up here eventually.
Which brings me to what is in store for this blog now.
It’s going to change a bit.
No more “weekly” reports. For the next month at least I’ll not be trying to do too much actual writing anyways. I may do it for NaNoWriMo in July but other than special occasions like that, there will be no more weekly updates and word counts. Instead, just occasional updates.
Book reviews. Lots of them. All different kinds.
Whatever other goofy stuff I can come up with that I think might actually be useful. Perhaps some teases from the book.
Till next time.